Lake Carolina Development Donates $31,000 to Local Children’s Charities
Lake Carolina Properties presented a check for $31,000 to five local charities through its beneficiary, Children’s Charities of the Midlands.
This gift was made possible through various community events and fundraisers at Lake Carolina, like the Polar Bear Plunge in January, Oyster Roast in March, and the Wine & Food Festival in October.
Recipient organizations include:
- Abundant Life Equipment Lending Library which lends durable medical equipment to the community of Columbia;
- Autism Academy of South Carolina offering individualized Applied Behavior Analysis therapy (ABA) to clients with Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Family Connection of South Carolina which provides parent-to-parent support to families of children with disabilities or special healthcare needs;
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) which funds Type 1 Diabetes research; and
- Rising Champions of Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital which helps fund special projects and initiatives supporting the needs of Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital.
The biggest fundraising event of the year at Lake Carolina was the Polar Bear Plunge, held on the second Saturday of each January. Gary Matthews, longtime resident of Lake Carolina, has spearheaded efforts for his “ChippenWhales” team to increase participants and fundraising every year. Gary says, “After going through my own very personal circumstance with my child many years ago, I know how important it is to support these organizations that are doing such amazing work. I’m thrilled I get a chance to do this through the community where I live.”
David Tuttle, President at Lake Carolina Development, says, “Lake Carolina is such a great, diverse community. We have so many great events that are great for the neighbors to all get to know each other better but they’re also a time to unite and give back to make a real difference in the lives of children in our community and beyond. I’m thrilled we get to play a small part in the important work these organizations are doing in the lives of so many young people.”
Lake Carolina is the largest master planned community in Columbia, South Carolina. Situated on 1,850 acres and consisting of 39 unique neighborhoods and approximately 15,000 residents, Lake Carolina has been named the HBA Community of the Year for 10+ years. Within the community are over six miles of shoreline on a 200-acre freshwater lake for swimming, fishing, sailing, boating and waterskiing; 30+ miles and 300 acres of walking trails, parks and protected green space; a Town Center with shopping, dining and professional services; Family Rogers YMCA; and two award-winning Richland Schools. Lake Carolina features traditional new homes, townhomes, apartments, live/work residences, executive courtyard and single-family homes from the $100’s to over $1 million.
For more information, visit www.lakecarolina.com.