Lake Carolina Development Donates $50,000 to Local Children’s Charities
Lake Carolina Properties has donated $50,000 to six local charities through its beneficiary, Children’s Charities of the Midlands.
This year has been difficult for all of us, but for those families and children who are the most vulnerable, it has been especially troubling.
This donation was made possible through various community events and fundraisers at Lake Carolina from spring 2019 through the beginning of 2020.
Recipient organizations in 2020 include:
- Epworth Children’s Home provides residential care to children from unstable and abusive homes.
- Family Connection of South Carolina provides parent-to-parent support to families of children with disabilities or special healthcare needs.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) funds Type 1 Diabetes research.
- Rising Champions of Prisma Children’s Hospital helps fund special projects and initiatives supporting the needs of Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital.
- The Unumb Center for Neurodevelopment provides evidence-based diagnostic and therapeutic services to people with autism spectrum disorder.
- Vitality South Carolina which lends durable medical equipment to the community of Columbia.
The biggest fundraising event of the year at Lake Carolina was the Polar Bear Plunge, held on the second Saturday of each January. Gary Matthews, longtime resident of Lake Carolina, has spearheaded efforts for his “ChippenWhales” team to increase participants and fundraising every year. The collective efforts of Gary and his ChippenWhales team raised over $40,000 this year alone. Gary says, “After going through my own very personal circumstance with my child many years ago, I know how important it is to support these organizations that are doing such amazing work. I am thrilled I get a chance to do this through the community where I live. I’m also so proud of my friends and family who continue to grow each year to raise money for these important causes.”
David Tuttle, President at Lake Carolina Development, says, “Lake Carolina has become such a great, diverse community for over 20 years, and still building. We have many great events that allow neighbors to get to know each other better but they also provide an opportunity to unite and give back in order to make a real difference in the lives of children in our community and beyond. I’m thrilled we get to play a small part in the important work of these organizations.”
For more information about living in Lake Carolina and/or events within the community, visit www.lakecarolina.com.
Lake Carolina is the largest master planned community in Columbia, South Carolina. Situated on 1,850 acres and consisting of 39 unique neighborhoods and approximately 15,000 residents, Lake Carolina has been named the HBA Community of the Year for 10+ years. Within the community are over six miles of shoreline on a 200-acre freshwater lake for swimming, fishing, sailing, boating and waterskiing; 30+ miles and 300 acres of walking trails, parks and protected green space; a Town Center with shopping, dining and professional services; Family Rogers YMCA; and two award-winning Richland Schools. Lake Carolina features traditional new homes, townhomes, apartments, live/work residences, executive courtyard and single-family homes from the $100’s to over $1 million. For more information, visit www.lakecarolina.com.